Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2012

A guest post! About a not quite shambling corpse.


Today sees the blog’s first guest post. One by a friend of mine. He’s offering up an alternative view on The Walking Dead, and while it differs with the correct perspective one should have upon such things (ie, my own) I'm going to serve it up in the spirit of balance, and also, because he's my mate.

So, here it is:

You know what really grinds my gears (of war)? People whose opinion was subconsciously swayed by the last 10 minutes of The Walking Dead and now think it’s the best game ever.

An old photo of myself and my guest blogger.
So, a little about myself, the guy who has now made himself about as popular as the perpetrators of the ending of Mass Effect 3 with that comment. I’m a frenemy of our resident blogger and have known him since we were kids. We’re something like Sonic and Knuckles circa Sonic 3, before the countless annoying allies multiplied out of all control, like how I imagine Cream's offspring would. Yeah. Anyhow, I’m here to provide an alternate (better) opinion to that of our resident blogger.

Things start off well in The Walking Dead. I would go as far to say that episodes 2 and 3 provide some of gaming’s greatest moments. The decisions you were forced to make were compellingly horrifying, enhanced by the believable reactions from a group of fellow travellers that you could never ever fully trust.


So it’s such a shame that it goes downhill from then on. Episode 4 introduces some rather bland characters to replace those that we bonded with from the first 3 episodes. Is it possible that Telltale Games realised this and thus overcompensated with too many action sequences? This ended up with several zombies being annihilated with ease and thus losing the feel of earlier episodes which generated enormous fear when you were faced with even one of these vile creatures. Did Telltale Games forget that it was the harrowing outcomes from your impossible decisions which provided a psychological onslaught on your soul? Because if not, then why did we have to sit through overly laboured scenes like that burial? 

To be fair, the end of episode 4 did leave a superb cliff hanger which left me willing to forgive the discretions of that episode. That was until I played episode 5.

Episode 5 was always going to be a difficult feat to pull off. However, I feel that Telltale Games dropped the ball here. Episode 4 was too long thanks to those action sequences and felt more bloated than a Boomer from Left 4 Dead.  Episode 5 overcorrected that by being far too short. The kidnapping cliff hanger was a huge disappointment and merely served to give you a dull summary of some of the decisions you made earlier on. There was also a lack of tough moral choices to make and the complete lack of robust gameplay in the series was especially highlighted in this episode, a sin which escaped scrutiny in previous episodes.  However, the most frustrating aspect of the episode was the feeling that the majority of those decisions you made over the last 15 hours or so were never meant to have the sort of impact you dreamt it would have on the story. It’s certainly not as unforgivable as Mass Effect 3 (Marauder Shields, we will NEVER forget you!) but given the compellingly amoral nature of the game, I had hoped for much better.

With all that said, I still really enjoyed The Walking Dead, especially the earlier episodes. The voice acting was of a high quality and the script had some truly powerful moments, some of which our resident blogger has already highlighted. The relationship between Lee and Clementine will go down as one of the greatest in video gaming history. Our resident blogger doesn’t have a heart of stone – Princess Peach is more of a man than he is. I, however, do possess a heart of stone, and I’m not afraid to admit to the tear that rolled down my cheek in those final 10 minutes of episode 5. Upon reflection on writing this blog, maybe that ending was incredible enough for me to forgive all the mistakes Telltale Games made in episodes 4 and 5.  Maybe.

All I can say is roll on Season 2.





No comments:

Post a Comment